In the year 2017, Google has launched the Google Data Studio, a data visualization tool to compete with existing BI tools available in the market. I’ve been a BETA user and fallen in love with the tool from the very first day.
While the tool was in the beta stage, multiple users had requested for feature ability to embed the report on an online website. After a long waiting period, the Studio team has finally added the option.
This is a quick demo on how to add and embed Google Data Studio report into an online platform.
Enable the Google Data Studio sharing
Before we get started with the embedding tutorial, we need to make sure that the report is externally viewable. By default, the report is restricted to the creator. However, if I want anyone else to view and interact with the report, I need to enable the sharing setting first.
Within the interface in ‘VIEW’ mode, we’ll have the option to invite users and adjust sharing.
- Click on the icon to initiate sharing.
- A lightbox window open, click on ‘Advanced’ link available
- In ‘Who has access…’ section, the setting is set to Private – Only you can access, hit on Change… link
- Change the settings to ON – Anyone with the link and hit on the Save button and later Done button.
Once the sharing setting is correctly set, you can follow the guide on embedding the studio report.
Embedding Data Studio report online
Once the report sharing is enabled for anyone with a link or publicly available, the embedded report will work like a charm. Please follow the steps:
- Hit on embed icon < > available in a topbar on the dashboard page
- Lightbox popup will appear with an embedding code snippet.
<iframe width="600" height="338" src="https://datastudio.google.com/embed/reporting/1tG_L94Vs3XJ6XtP9kVLAooo80uyJEfgV/page/dIyK" frameborder="0" style="border:0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
- Enter the desired width and height (in px) and hit on Copy to Clipboard button.
- And finally, paste the copied snippet code in any HTML webpage for the report to appear as embedded.
How are you using the embedding feature?
I’ve embedded my restoreBin monthly dashboard report into our page, you can have a look and feel. At first instance, it doesn’t seem to be embedded, in-fact looks like a part of a webpage, and I’m loving this! 🙂
If you've any thoughts on Embed Google Data Studio reporting dashboard into website or blog, then feel free to drop in below comment box. Also, please subscribe to our BrowserHow YouTube channel for amazing videos tips. Cheers!